Overseas Licence Conversion

If you have a current overseas motorcycle licence you may be able to convert this to a New Zealand licence. Depending on the country of issue and how long you’ve had the licence you may need to sit a theory and/or practical test. For full information on overseas conversion please visit the NZTA webpage – https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/new-residents-and-visitors/converting-to-nz-driver-licence/

For those who are required to sit the practical full licence test, you can opt do the CBTA F as your test. You will need to do the following:

  • Get your NZ Class 6 Learner Licence – getting this is the beginning of the conversion process and normally just requires you to sit the theory test (for non-exempt countries).
  • Written confirmation from NZTA that you are eligible for the overseas licence conversion (and hence skipping the restricted licence phase).
  • Book and pass your CBTA F, you can do this HERE. We also highly recommend you complete either a Bronze Ride Forever course or some one on one coaching first.
  • Submit a complete application form via the NZTA website at https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/exemptions/exemption-from-driver-licensing-requirements/, with a certified copy of your overseas drivers licence and/or certificate of particulars and the Competency Based Training Assessment certificate issued to you.

For help booking courses, or if you have any questions please email office@prorider.co.nz